Lovely Followers

Friday 20 November 2009

Eye Lash Perm - is it worth it?

Having your lashes curled really opens up your eyes, it really can look good if you have small eyes or short lashes. I was having a facial the other week and the lady across from me was having her eye lashes permed. I thought I would give it a go as my lashes aren't super long but they are quite straight tend to point downwards so get tangled up in the lower lashes! I don't mind curling my lashes with a lash curler but I often forget if I am in a rush. I also don't feel like I need mascara all the time as my lashes are black and thick enough not to need to plump them. I just wanted a bit of curl that wouldn't droop away as the day goes on.

Costs
It cost me £5 as I went to my local beauty therapy college, a great way to get treatments for next to nothing from students who have been well trained - they are not let loose on you without having been trained! If they are not experienced then my advice is run, run for the hills and don't look back!

Time taken
It took 45 minutes from start to finish and I found it very relaxing, as long as you look away from the spatula very close to your eyeball!

How long does it last
The therapist said that if the perm takes well it should last 4 - 6 weeks.

Pros
It's cheap and if it works means lovely curled lashes which frame the eyes nicely.
No need to use an eyelash curler every day!

Cons
You need to have a skin test 48 hours before the perm, to make sure you don't react to the chemicals which are quite strong.
The smell of the chemicals is grim, like singed hair even before it's on your lashes!
If it doesn't take, you get nothing for your time and money!
Lashes feel a bit dry afterwards and the results are variable.

The results

Some of the lashes took really well, others now look a little bent rather than curled! See the photos to see what I mean.


During, cotton wool tubes are glued to the lashes and perming and developing solutions applied.




Conclusion
I don't think I'll do it again as I wasn't very impressed with the results. Perhaps a different therapist would do a better job. I think I was expecting the same amount of curl that I get from my lash curlers. Since not all lashes were curled, I am going to have to keep curling my lashes anyway! The therapist assured me that mascara on the lashes will help but I don't always wear dark thicker formula mascara so I think I will just use clear mascara to keep the curl uniform.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't impressed. A friend of mine is getting it done regularly and it looks so stunning on her. It is really noticable. Maybe try a different therapist? There are home kits too, but you would need a friend to apply it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes from what i can see i think she has used too big of a rod on you! she should have used a small or medium rod for the biggest difference as the smallest one really lifts it from the root!the rod she has used is huge!i would go back n next time ask for small, did she ask u which type of curl u wanted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I am so sad to hear that it didn't work for you. I don't know whether I should still go for it or not. Was it really curled after the treatment and then did it go down the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the therapist didn't do a good job on you. I've had my eyelashes done a couple of times, it really made HUGE difference to my long-but-straight Oriental lashes. Mine lasted about 3months each time.

    As mentioned by brunette1652, if you're interested to get it done again next time, ask the therapist to use SMALL curlers on you. I won't even touch the medium size if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your advice, if I go back I will get the small and see if that makes a difference - the one in the picture are medium, I dread to think how massive the large ones are!

    A few days later the curl is still there and seems to have evened out a bit, my eyes look more open as the lashes curl upwards and you can see them against the eye lid. I put mascara on yesterday and it looked much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely see a difference, but I can understand that you expected a better result!
    I 've never tried it myself, but would definitely be interested to try it, even for the experience!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jasmine, I forgot to mention that having eyelash perm is similar to having hair perm: it settles and looks better after some time. In my experience big curlers could do wonders if they're done properly (not being left too long or too short a time).

    Also, if you decide to have a smaller one done next time, make sure you tell the beautician not to fasten them too tight, in case they cause your eyelashes to "double back"/becoming wavy like 80s perms. I've seen some bad ones in Asia, they look horrendous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo gorgeous

    well you have longgg lashes she should have done a much better job on you - I mean mine are a lot shorter and they are super curly (although the treatment itself was far too rough!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails